What is Prevent?
Prevent is one of 4 strands of the Government counter terrorism strategy - CONTEST. The UK currently faces a range of terrorist threats. Terrorist groups who pose a threat to the UK seek to radicalise and recruit people to their cause. Early intervention is central to Prevent and aims to divert people away from being drawn into terrorist activity.
The national Prevent Duty confers mandatory duties and responsibilities on a range of public organisations including Further Education Colleges and Training providers and aims to:
- Respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism and aspects of extremism, and the threat we face from those who promote these views
- Provide practical help to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism and violent extremism and ensure they are given appropriate advice and support
Our Prevent Statement
- An awareness of Prevent within all areas of the organisation
- Provide a clear framework to structure and inform our response to safeguarding concerns, including a supportive referral process for those who may be susceptible to the messages of extremism
- Embed British values into the curriculum and ways of working
- Recognise current practice which contributes to the Prevent agenda
- Identify areas for improvement